Boekenhoutskloof Syrah 2021

Regular price £44.71
/
Shipping calculated at checkout.

PRE-ORDER NOW - SAVE 15% WHEN YOU ADD 6 TO CART - The nose is forthcoming and concentrated, with intense aromas of plums, violets and asleek spiciness. The midpalate is pure, peppery and vibrant, with black and red fruits inabundance, showing flavours of blueberries, dark liquorice, anise and earthiness. Thewine is full-bodied and very complex, with plush tannins and vibrant, balanced acidity.Sweet tobacco and black cardamom linger on a charry finish

  • Country - South Africa
  • Region - Swartland
  • Food Match - Beef & Steak, Veal, Venison
  • Vintage - 2021
  • Alcohol - 13.7%
  • Size - 75cl

Grapes for our Boekenhoutskloof Syrah are picked from select parcels of the finest Syrah grown at our Swartland farms, Porseleinberg (90%) and
Goldmine (10%), close to the small town of RiebeekKasteel. The Porseleinberg vineyards are planted on an extremely hard and rocky bedrock of
decomposed Mica-Schist; a unique ward-defining terroir within the appellation. The vineyards on Goldmine sit on the south-west slopes of the
Kasteelberg and comprise of Brown Schist with deposits of Table Mountain sandstone, which is weathered and washed from the adjacent mountain.

Swartland - South Africa

The Swartland wine region, located north of Cape Town in South Africa's Western Cape, is renowned for its diverse terrain, Mediterranean climate, and innovative winemaking. Known for robust red wines like Syrah, Mourvèdre, and Grenache, as well as rich, complex white wines such as Chenin Blanc and Viognier, Swartland's vineyards often feature old, dry-farmed bush vines. Pioneering winemakers like Eben Sadie and Adi Badenhorst emphasize minimal intervention and sustainable practices, creating unique, high-quality wines that have garnered international acclaim. The region's experimental approach and distinctive terroir contribute to its rising prestige in the global wine community.

2021

The winter preceding the 2021 Swartland Syrah vintage offered suitable cold units during dormancy, ensuring a good start to the vineyard cycle. The absence of typical Swartland heat spikes in December and January necessitated patience to attain the desired ripeness. The refined and compact character inherent in this vintage significantly enhances the overall elegance of the wine.

“Given that 90% of its raw material comes from Porseleinberg - the other 10% comes
from Boekenhoutskloof's Roundstone property - it's no surprise that this is such an
impressive Syrah. Fermented with 65% whole bunches, it combines fynbos, lavender
and Asian spice aromas with a palate of white pepper, barbecued meat, oregano and
blackberry framed by sappy, granular tannins. World class. 2025-35” - 97 points, Tim Atkin MW. South Africa Report 2023